M.Tech Additive Manufacturing
Additive Manufacturing is an emerging technology revolutionizing the manufacturing industry today. This technology is employed to build products in almost every sector. One of the striking features of this technology is that complexity of part is no more a concern during manufacturing. This technology is expected to grow rapidly in future.
The Department started M. Tech. in “Additive Manufacturing” for the first time in India in the year 2014 in collaboration with Central Manufacturing Technology Institute (CMTI), Bangalore. CMTI is an R & D organization and plays the role of being a catalyst and a key player in manufacturing technology growth in the country.
Programme outcomes: At the end of this programme, students will be able to
- Apply engineering knowledge, techniques, skills and modern tools to analyze problems in AM.
- Identify different industrial sectors, relevant AM processes and measurement techniques to reduce cost and time from design to manufacture.
- Develop advanced sensing and control algorithms for AM technology
- Exploit AM technology to reduce tooling cost at low volume production environments
- Apply 3D printing technology for organ printing and other bio-medical applications
- Design and conduct experiments to understand process behavior for providing optimal solutions.
- Develop and validate models to solve complex manufacturing problems using modern engineering and IT tools.
- Communicate effectively while leading and executing projects.
- Apply professional, ethical, legal, security and social issues in the design of AM processes.
- Engage in life-long learning as a means of enhancing knowledge and skills for professional advancement.
- Conceptualize and analyze new problems leading to research and development.
In the first two semesters the students study relevant core courses and a good number of elective courses. The electives permit one to choose his/her area of interest within the broad spectrum of courses. Experts from CMTI handle some of the courses. The laboratories are equipped with state of the art equipment to impart necessary hands-on practice. Laboratory classes in the first-semester will be conducted at NITW and in the second semester at CMTI. Last two semesters are dedicated for the dissertation work relevant to the course. Dissertation works will be carried out at CMTI. Nominal charges will be collected from the students for their stay at CMTI.
Scheme & Syllabus
Engineers trained in this programme may pursue many job profiles. Many MNCs are in need of qualified engineers in AM technology to design and fabricate parts/items for various applications including engineering, agricultural, jewelry, textile, food, medical etc. Since it is a cutting edge technology, there is lot of scope for choosing research as a career in this field.
B.E. /B. Tech in Mechanical/Production/Industrial and Production Engineering with a valid GATE score in Mechanical/Production and Industrial Engg.
Course Duration: 2 Years (4 Semesters)
For further information, contact the coordinator:
Dr. Y. Ravi Kumar, Assistant Professor