MH-201 MATHEMATICS III (4 0 0) 4
(Common for all branches except ECE)
Fourier Series, Half range Series , Fourier- sine and cosine transformations, Z-transforms and Inverse Z- transforms – Properties – Applications to Difference equations. Partial Differential Equations: Method of separation of variables for Wave, Heat and Laplace equations. Complex Variables: Analytic function – Cauchy Riemann equations, line integrals , Cauchy’s theorem, Cauchy’s integral formula – Taylor’s and Laurent’s series, Residue theorem, application of Residue theorem, bilinear and conformal mapping.
1. R. K. Jain and S. R. K. Iyengar: Advanced Engineering Mathematics, Narosa Publishing House, 2002
2. Erwyn Kreyszig: Advanced Engineering Mathematics, John Wiley, 8th Edition.
1. B.S. Grewal: Higher Engineering Mathematics, Khanna Publications, 2003.
BT-201 CELL BIOLOGY (4 0 0) 4
Cell Theory and Diversity, Cell surface, Membrane structure and organization, Intracellular organelle structure and function, Nucleus System, Chromosomes and heredity, Mutations, Cell growth, division and reproduction, Concepts of cell ageing and cell signalling.
1. Bruce Alberts, Alexander Johnson, Julian Lewis, Martin Raff, Dennis Bray, Karen Hopkin, Keith Roberts, Peter Walter: Essential Cell Biology, Garland Science/ Tyler & Francis Publishers, 2nd Edition, 2003.
2. Rastogi S. C: Cell Biology, New age International publishers, 3rd Edition, 2005.
1. Thomas D. Pollard, William C. Earnshaw and Jennifer Lippincott-Schwartz: Cell Biology: With Student Consult Online Access, Saunders College Publishing, 2nd Edition, 2007.
BT-202 BIOCHEMISTRY (4 0 0) 4
Introduction to Biochemistry, Amino acids and Peptides, The three dimensional structure of Proteins, Enzymes and Enzyme Kinetics, Nucleic acids, Principles of Bioenergetics, Carbohydrates, Lipids, Glycolysis pathways.
1. David L. Nelson and Michael M. Cox: Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry, Palgrave Macmillan, Freeman, Low Price Edition, 4th Edition, 2007.
2. Mary K. Campbell and Shawn O. Farrell: Biochemistry, Thomson Brooks/Cole, Indian Edition, 5th Edition, 2007.
1. Robert K. Murray, Daryl K. Granner and Victor W. Rodwell: Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry, McGraw Hill Lange, International Edition, 27th Edition, 2006.
2. Lubert Stryer, Jeremy M. Berg, and John L. Tymoczko: Biochemistry, W. H. Freeman & Co, 5th Edition, 2002.
BT-203 MICROBIOLOGY (4 0 0) 4
Scope and History of Microbiology, Characterization, Classification, Identification and Examination of Microorganisms, Bacteria, Fungi, Protozoa and Viruses, Cultivation of Bacteria, Bacterial Genetics, Fungi, Algae, and Protozoa, Viruses, Control of Microorganisms, Introduction to Applied Microbiology.
1. Michael J. Pelczar, Jr., E.C.S. Chan, Noel R. Krieg: Microbiology, Tata McGraw Hill, 5th Edition, 2006.
2. John L. Ingraham, Catherine A. Ingraham: Introduction to Microbiology, A case History Approach, Thomson Brooks/Cole, 3rdEdition, 2004.
3. Joanne M. Willey, Linda M. Sherwood, Christopher J. Woolverton: Prescott, Harley, and Klein’s Microbiology, McGraw Hill Higher Education, International Edition, 7th Edition, 2007.
CH-208 FLUID MECHANICS AND HEAT TRANSFER (4 0 0) 4
Fluid Mechanics: Unit systems – Fluid Statics and Its Applications – Fluid Flow Phenomena – Basic Equations of Fluid Flow – Incompressible Flow In Pipes and Channels – Flow of Compressible Fluids – Flow Past Immersed Bodies – Transportation and Metering of Fluids.
Heat Transfer: Heat Transfer by Conduction in Solids – Principles of Heat Flow in fluids – Heat Transfer to Fluids without Phase Change – Heat Transfer to Fluids with Phase Change – Heat-Exchange Equipment, Heat transfer by Radiation
1. Warren L. McCabe, Jullian C. Smith, Peter Harriott: Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering, McGraw Hill, International Edition, 7th Edition, 2005.
1. Coulson J. M and Richardson J. F: Chemical Engineering, Elsevier, Volume I -6th Edition, 2000 and Volume II – 5th 2003.
2. Frank P. Incropera: Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, John Wiley & sons, 6th Rev Edition, 2007.
BT-204 BIOCHEMISTRY LABORATORY (0 0 3) 2
Quantitative reactions of Carbohydrates (Starch, Cellulose, etc…) including preparation of derivatives and identification of unknown Carbohydrates; Identification of Amino acids including unknown Amino acids; General reactions of proteins (Albumin, Globulin, Casein, etc…); Colour reactions of Cholesterol; Analysis of Urine – Tests for Uric acid, Test for Creatinine; Analysis of Urine for abnormal Constitutions; Estimation of Glucose in Urine; Estimation of Creatinine in Urine; Estimation of Urea in Urine by Urease method; Estimation of glucose in blood; Estimation of Urea in Blood; Estimation of Serum cholesterol.
BT-205 MICROBIOLOGY LABORATORY (0 0 3) 2
Sterilization techniques (lecture/demonstrations); Preparation of culture media – Broth – Agar; Culturing of Microorganisms – Pure culture techniques – Streak plate – Pour plate; Isolation and preservation of Bacterial culture; Identification of microorganisms – Staining techniques; 6.Quantitation of microorganisms – Counting microscopy – Nephelometry / Turbidimetry – Total N or dry weight – Serial dilution plating; Applied microbiology – Sewage and Soil samples analysis – Milk and Fermented Food.
CH-209 FLUID MECHANICS AND HEAT TRANSFER LAB (0 0 3) 2
Fluid Mechanics Laboratory: Measurement of viscosity and surface tension of liquids – Reynolds Experiment – Verification of Bernoulli’s Principle – Friction in flow through smooth and rough pipes – Friction in pipe fittings and valves – Terminal settling velocities in viscous medium – Flow through packed bed – Flow through fluidized bed – Calibration of Orifice and Venturi meters – Characteristics of centrifugal pump
Heat Transfer Laboratory: Electrical analogue for heat conduction – Natural Convection -Thermal Resistance in series – Heat losses from cylindrical furnace – Temperature profile in rod – Double pipe heat exchanger – Helical Coil – Heat pipe demonstration experiment – Boiling Phenomena in liquids – Heat Exchanger – Tubular Heat Exchanger – Fin Tube Heat Exchanger – Plate Heat Exchanger.
MH-251 MATHEMATICS-IV (4 0 0) 4
(Common for all branches except ECE)
Statistics and Probability: Expectation, Moments and Moment generating function, Binomial, Poisson and Normal distributions, Testing of Hypothesis – Z-t-F- Chi-square tests Correlation, regression. Numerical Analysis: Curve fitting (method of least squares) Lagrange, Newton and Gauss’s interpolation formulae, Numerical differentiation, Numerical Integration, Solutions of Initial Value problems, Solution of algebraic and transcendental equationsMethod of Frobenius series: Bessel and Legendre functions
1. S. C. Gupta and V. K. Kapoor : Fundamentals of Mathematical Statistics.
2. M.K. Jain S.R.K. Iyengar and R.K.Jain: Numerical methods for Scientific and Engineering Computation
3. Erwyn Kreyszig : Advanced Engineering Mathematics
1. B. S. Grewal: Higher Engineering Mathematics, Khanna Publications
BT-251 MOLECULAR BIOLOGY AND GENETICS (4 0 0) 4
Mendelian Genetics, Linkage, Genome Anatomies, Genome Replication, Initiation of Transcription, Translation I, Translation II.
1. David Freifelder, Molecular Biology, 2nd Edition, Narosa Publishing House, Reprint 2004
2. T.A. Brown., Genomes 2, 2nd Edition, Garland Science, 2006.
3. Strickberger M.W., Genetics, 3rd Edition, Prentice Hall India, 2007.
4. Eldon John Gardner, Michael J. Simmons, Peter Snustad D., Principles of Genetics, 8th Edition, Wiley India, Second Reprint 2007.
1. Anthony J.F. Griffiths, Susan R. Wessler, Richard C. Lewontin and Sean B. Carroll, Introduction to Genetic Analysis, 9th Edition, W.H. Freeman, 2007.
2. Benjamin Lewin, Gene IX, Jones and Bartlett, 2006.
BT-252 BIOCHEMICAL THERMODYNAMICS (4 0 0) 4
Concepts in Engineering Thermodynamics, Solution Thermodynamics, Phase and Chemical Reaction Equilibria, Biochemical Thermodynamics
1. J.M. Smith, H.C. van Ness and M.M. Abbott, Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, McGraw Hill, 6th Edition, 2004.
2. Stanley I. Sandler, Chemical, Biochemical, and Engineering Thermodynamics, 4th Edition, Wiley, 2006.
1. J.A Roels, Kinetics and Energetics in Biotechnology, Elsevier, 1983
2. Robert A. Alberty, Biochemical Thermodynamics: Applications of Mathematica 1st Edition, Wiley-Interscience, 2007.
3. Y.V.C Rao Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, University Press, 2008.
4. K. V. Narayanan, Textbook of Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics, Eastern Economy Edition, 2007.
BT-253 PROCESS CALCULATIONS (4 0 0) 4
Steady-state material balances, Material balance for various unit operations, Steady-state energy balances, Introduction to unsteady-state material and energy balances.
1. Himmelblau, D.H, Basic Principles and Calculations in Chemical Engineering, 6th Edition, Prentice Hall India, 2003
2. Bhatt B. I and Vora S.M, Stoichiometry, 4th Edition, Tata McGraw-Hill, 2005.
1. Hougen, O.A, Watson, K.M and Ragatz R.A, Chemical Processes Principles (Part-1): Material and Energy Balances, 2nd Edition, Asia Publication House, 2001.
2. Pauline M. Doran, Bioprocess Engineering Principles, Elsevier, South Asia Edition, 2005.
CH-258 MASS TRANSFER (4 0 0) 4
Mass Transfer Operations, Molecular Diffusion in Fluids; Diffusion in Solids, Mass Transfer Coefficients, Interphase Mass Transfer,Gas Absorption, Distillation, Liquid Extraction, Adsorption and Ion Exchange, Drying
1. Treyball R. E. – Mass Transfer Operations – 3rd Edition – International Student Edition McGraw Hill International, 1981.
1. C. J. Geankoplis – Transport Processes and Unit Operations – 3rd Edition, Prentice Hall Inc., 1993.
2. Warren L. McCabe, Julian C. Smith and Peter Harriott – Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering, 6th Edition, McGraw Hill, Inc (2002).
BT-254 MOLECULAR BIOLOGY & GENETICS LAB (0 0 3) 2
Growth Curve of Bacteria, Preparation of Competent Cells using Cacl2 and Transformation of Plasmid, Bacteriophage Titration, Isolation of Plasmid by Alkali Lysis Method, Isolation of Genomic DNA from Bacteria by High Salt Method, Nucleic acid separation by Agarose Gel Electrophoresis, DNA Elution from Agarose Gel, Miniprep by Modified Alkali Lysis Method, Isolation of Genomic DNA from Blood Cells by High Salt Method, Protein Purification and Characterization by SDS-PAGE, Operation principles of Western Blotting, Operation principles of Southern Blotting.
BT-255 INSTRUMENTAL ANALYSIS LAB (0 0 3) 2
Determination of pKa of an amino acid using UV-Vis Spectrophotometer, Estimation of Trace elements by Flame Photometry, Study of Enzyme Kinetics by UV-Vis Scanning Spectrophotometer, Application of Differential Scanning Calorimeter (DSC) in Biochemical analysis, Determination of Nucleic acid melting temperature using DSC, Operation principles of Gradient Thermocycler for Polymerase Chain Reaction, Operation principles of Microplate Reader for ELISA, Operating principles of HPLC/GLC.
CH-259 MASS TRANSFER LABORATORY (0 0 3) 2
Steam Distillation, Batch Distillation, Distillation in Packed Tower, Distillation in Plate Column, Diffusivity coefficient determination, Mutual solubility data, Tie-line data, Batch Drying, Mass Transfer in Packed Tower, Mass Transfer in Spray Tower, Ion-Exchange Apparatus, V.L.E – Data.
BT-301 BIOREACTION ENGINEERING (4 0 0) 4
Introduction, Bioreactor systems, Design of Bioreactors, Modelling of growth kinetics and design of fermentation processes, Scale-up of bioprocesses.
1. Bioreaction Engineering Principles , Second Edition, Jens Nielsen , John Villadsen , Gunnar Lidén, Kluwer Academics /Plenum publishers. 2002
2. Chemical Reaction Engineering; third Edition, Octave Levenspiel. A Wiley- interscience Publication .2004
1. Bioprocess Engineering Principles. Paulin M. Doran. Elsevier Science & Technology Books.2006
2. Elements of Chemical Reaction Engineering, Third Edition, H. Scott Fogler. Prentice-Hall India.2006
3. Biochemical Engineering Fundamentals, Second Edition, James E. Bailey, David F. Ollis McGrawHill. 2001
BT-302 FUNDAMENTALS OF BIOPROCESS ENGINEERING (4 0 0) 4
Introduction, Sterilization, Operating considerations for bioreactors for suspension and immobilized cultures,Selection, Scale-Up, Operation, and Control of Bioreactors, Bioprocess considerations in using animal cell cultures
1. Bioprocess Engineering Basic Concepts 2nd Edition, Michael Shuler, Fikret Kargi. Prentice-Hall India.2006
2. Bioprocess Engineering Principles by Paulin M. Doran. Elsevier Science & Technology Books.2002
1. Bioprocess Engineering: Kinetics, Mass Transport, Reactors and Gene Expression. by Wolf. R. Vieth. Wiley-Interscience Publication 2001
2. Principles of fermentation technology P F Stanbury and A Whitaker, Pergamon, press, latest edition, 2002
BT-303 GENETIC ENGINEERING (4 0 0) 4
Basic Techniques, Cutting and joining DNA molecules, Cloning Vectors, Cloning strategies and DNA libraries, Sequencing and Mutagenesis, Molecular markers, Advances and applications of Transgenic and Recombinant DNA Technology
1. Old RW and Primrose SB .Sixth edition, “Principles of gene manipulation “, BlackWell Scientific Publications, 2001.
2. Bernard R. Glick and Jack J. Pesternak. Third edition, “Molecular Biotechnology: Principles and Applications of recombinant DNA”, American Society for Microbiology, 2003.
1. Nicholl DST, “An Introduction to Genetic Engineering” Cambridge University Press, 1994
BT-304 BIOREACTION ENGINEERING LABORATORY (0 0 3) 2
Demonstration of various Bioreactor configurations, In Situ sterilization of medium, sterilization cycle and Arrhenius plot, Microbial death kinetics, Demonstration of inoculation and sampling in a Continuous Stirred Tank Reactor, Determination of mixing time and power number in CSTR, Demonstration of batch, fed batch and continuous process in a CSTR, Study of kinetic parameters in batch, and continuous process in a CSTR, Determination of volumetric mass transfer coefficient in a batch reactor, Studies on biotransformation in continuous flow reactors, Study of rheology of fermentation broth in a batch bioreactor, Determination of power number in a batch bioreactor and Study of residence time distributions in batch and continuous bioreactors.
BT-305 BIOPROCESS ENGINEERING LABORATORY (0 0 3) 2
The Microbial cell growth kinetics, Preparation and characterization of immobilized enzyme, Determination of kinetic constants in free and immobilized enzyme systems, Analysis of mass transfer effects of kinetics of the immobilized enzyme reactions, Bio-conversion studies with immobilized enzyme packed bed reactors, Effect of pH and temperature on enzyme activity, Kinetics of enzyme inhibition activity, Production of secondary metabolites in synthetic and complex industrial media, Estimation of monod parameters in batch, fed-batch and continuous cultures and Solid state fermentation
BT-306 GENETIC ENGINEERING LABORATORY (0 0 3) 2
Phage titration, Lambda Phage DNA Isolation and purification, Amplification of Lambda Phage DNA fragment by PCR, Elution of Lambda Phage DNA fragment from Agarose Gel, Restriction Digestion of Lambda Phage DNA fragment with Restriction enzymes, Cloning of Lambda Phage DNA fragment in a pUC 18 Plasmid and ligation, Green Florescence Protein GFP Cloning and Expression, Transformation of cloned plasmid in to bacterial host cells – blue white Screening, Southern Hybridization, Antibody Capture ELISA
MH-351 ENGINEERING ECONOMICS AND ACCOUNTANCY (3 0 0) 3
1. Introduction to Engineering Economics, Fundamental concepts, Time value of money, Cash flow and Time Diagrams, Choosing between alternative investment proposals, Methods of Economic analysis (Pay back, ARR, NPV, IRR and B/C ratio), 2. The Effect of borrowing on investment, Equity Vs Debt Financing, Concept of leverage, Income tax and leverage 3. Depreciation and methods of calculating depreciation (Straight line, Sum of the years digit method, declining Balance Method, Annuity Method, Sinking Fund method). 4. National Income Accounting, Methods of Estimation, Various Concepts of National Income, Significance of National Income Estimation and its limitations. 5. Inflation, Definition, Process and Theories of Inflation and Measures to Control, 6. New Economic Policy 1991 (Industrial policy, Trade policy, and Fiscal policy) Impact on Industry
7. Accounting Principles, procedure, Double entry system, Journal, ledger, Trial balance, Cash Book Preparation of Trading and Profit and Loss account, Balance Sheet, 8. Cost Accounting, Introduction, Classification of costs, Methods of Costing, Techniques of Costing, Cost sheet and preparation cost sheet, Breakeven Analysis, Meaning and its application, Limitation.
1. Henry Malcom Steinar-Engineering Economics Principles, McGraw Hill Pub. (For Topic 1, 2, 3)
2. Dewett K.K., “Modern Economic Theory”, Sultan Chand & Co. (Topics 4, 5)
3. Agrawal AN, “Indian Economy” Wiley Eastern Ltd, New Delhi (Topic 6)
4. Jain and Narang” Accounting Part-I”, Kalyani Publishers (Topic 7)
5. Arora, M.N.” Cost Accounting, Vikas Publication. (Topic 8)
BT-351 ADVANCED BIOPROCESS ENGINEERING (4 0 0 ) 4
Advanced Bioprocess Engineering with special emphasis on animal cell bioprocess technology, The use of animal cells to produce biological therapeutics, the pertinent concepts in the use of animal cells for production of recombinant proteins and monoclonal antibodies, kinetics of cell growth, cell death and product formation, Bioreactors for suspension and anchorage-dependent cells, Issues related to process validation and safety in the use of animal cells from a regulatory point of view.
1. Bioprocess Engineering Basic Concepts 2nd Edition, Michael Shuler, Fikret Kargi. Prentice-Hall India. 2006.
2. Bioprocess Engineering Principles. By Paulin M. Doran. Elsevier Science & Technology Books. 2002
1. Bioprocess Engineering: Kinetics, Mass Transport, Reactors and Gene Expression by Wolf. R. Vieth. A Wiley-Interscience Publication. 2000.
2. Principles of fermentation technology by P F Stanbury and A Whitaker, Pergamon press, latest edition, 2002.
BT-352 BIOPROCESS CONTROL AND INSTRUMENTATION (4 0 0 ) 4
Linear Open-loop systems, Linear Closed-loop systems, Frequency Response, Bioprocess Instrumentation, Bioprocess Control
1. Process systems analysis and control by D.R. Coughanowr, 2nd edition. Mc Graw Hill 1991
2. Biochemical Engineering Fundamentals, 2nd edition, James E. Bailey, David F. Ollis; McGraw Hill.2001.
3. Introduction to Biochemical Engineering, D. G. Rao, Tata McGraw Hill. 2007.
BT-353 DOWNSTREAM PROCESSING IN BIOTECHNOLOGY (4 0 0 ) 4
Scope of Downstream processing, Cell disruption methods, Solid- Liquid separation, Centrifugation, Concentration of products, Membrane separation processes, Drying, Chromatographic separation and electrophoresis methods
1. Product Recovery in Bioprocess technology, BIOTOL series, Butterworth–Heinemann, 2006
2. Bioseparations science and Engineering, Roger G. Harrison, Paul Todd, Scott. R. Rudge, Demetri P. Petrides, Oxford University, Indian Edition 2006
3. Separation process in biotechnology, Juan A. Aseujo Taylor & Francis Publishers 2007
- Handbook of bioseparations, Edited by Satinder Ahuja, Academic Press Volume 2, Year 2000
- Comprehensive Biotechnology, Volume 2nd Edition: M. Moo–young (1985)
1. Principles of Downstream processing, by Ronald & J. Lee, Wiley Publications, 2007
BT 354 BIOPROCESS INSTRUMENTATION AND CONTROL LAB (0 0 3) 2
Dial Thermometer-Time constant calculation, Interacting liquid level system, Non-Interacting liquid level system, Time constant of a liquid in gas thermometer, Heat transfer dynamics in a stirred tank, Computer controlled flow process analyzer(P,PD,PI,PID Controls), Computer controlled level process analyzer, Computer controlled pressure process analyzer, Computer controlled temperature process analyzer, Computer controlled heat exchanger
1. Process systems analysis and control by D.R. Coughanowr, 2nd ed. Mc Graw Hill 1991
2. C.S.Rangan,G.R.Sarma & V.S.V.Mani, “Instrumentation Devices and Systems” Tata McGraw Hill Publishing company Ltd.
BT-355 DOWNSTREAM PROCESSING LAB (0 0 3) 2
Extraction of Extra and Intra cellular Proteins from Microbial source, Centrifugation methods, Sonication methods, Precipitation methods, Lyophilization procedure, Ion exchange chromatography, Gel filtration chromatography, Affinity chromatography, Tangential filtration methods, NATIVE electrophoresis, SDS PAGE electrophoresis, Storage methods for isolated products
1. Principles of Protein Purification by Thomson, Wiley International Edition, 2007.
2. Chromatographic Techniques by Amersham Pharmacia hand book,2008
ME-401 INDUSTRIAL MANAGEMENT (3 0 0) 3
General Management, Leading, Marketing Management, Quality Management, Inventory Management, Project Management
1. Tripathi P.C. & Reddy P.C. – Principles of Management – Tata Mc Graw Hill Pub. Co. Ltd., New Delhi.
2. Notier, Philp, Marketing Management – Prentice Hall of India., New Delhi, 1996
3. Hajra Choudhury S. A , Nirjhar Roy and Hajra Choudhury A.R. – Product Management, Media Promoters and Pub. Pvt. Ltd. Bombay, 1990
4. Roontz, H., et. al, Essential of Management – Mc Graw Hill Book Co., New Work.
5. Schoroedar, Rodar,G – Operations Management -Mc Graw Hill Pub. Books Co. New Work, 1986
6. Buffa E.S. and Sarin R.K. – Modern Product / operations management Edition, John Wiley and Sons, Singapore, 1994
BT-401 BIOINFORMATICS (4 0 0) 4
Introduction to Bioinformatics, Biological Databases, Introduction to Whole Genomic analysis, Sequence Alignments and Statistics, Overview of Protein structure.
1. Arthur Lesk; Introduction to Bioinformatics, Oxford University Press, Second edition, 2002
2. David W. Mount; Bioinformatics: Sequence and Genome Analysis; CSHL Press; First edition, 2001
1. Andreas D. Baxevanis, Bioinformatics, A Practical Guide to the Analysis of Genes and Proteins. Wiley-Interscience, 3rd edition 2004
2. Richard Durbin; Sean R. Eddy; Anders Krogh; Graeme Mitchison; Biological Sequence Analysis: Probabilistic Models of Proteins and Nucleic Acids, Cambridge University Press, 3rd edition, reprint 2008.
BT-402 MODELING AND SIMULATION OF BIOPROCESSES (4 0 0) 4
Modelling principles, Formulation of balance equations, Information for bioreactor modelling andbiological kinetics, Bioreactor modelling.
- I. J. Dunn, E. Heinzle, J. Ingham, J. E. P. fenosil “Biological Reaction Engineering: Dynamic Modelling Fundamentals with Simulation Examples” WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheitn ,2003
- J.R. Leigh, Modeling and Control of fermentation Processes, Peter Peregrinus, London, Revised edition, 2000.
- Syam S. Sablani et al. Hand book of food and bioprocess modeling techniques, Taylor & Francis Group, LLC,2006
BT-403 BIOINFORMATICS LAB (0 0 3) 2
Unix practice, PERL practice, Data retrieval practice, Pairwise sequence alignment and Blast practice, Multiple sequence alignment, Phylogenetic tree building, Gene finding practice, Protein structure visualization, Protein structure modelling, Sequence assembly and comparative genomics, Relational database practice
BT-404 MODELING & SIMULATION OF BIOPROCESSES LAB (0 0 3) 2
Flow sheeting of the chemical process using ASPEN PLUS and CHEMCAD, Design of a Heat exchanger using ASPEN PLUS, DESIGN II and CHEMCAD, Design of a Distillation column using ASPEN PLUS, Calculation of volume of a bioreactor using ASPEN PLUS, Design of pressure valves and compressors using ASPEN PLUS and CHEMCAD, Design of a evaporator using ASPEN PLUS and CHEMCAD, Design of a absorption column using ASPEN PLUS and CHEMCAD, Design of a extractor using ASPEN PLUS and CHEMCAD, Design of a dryer using ASPEN PLUS and CHEMCAD. Design of a filter using ASPEN PLUS and CHEMCAD
BT-451 BIOETHICS, BIOSAFETY & IPR ISSUES (4 0 0) 4
Introduction to Biosafety, GMOs & LMOs, Introduction to Intellectual Property, Agreements and Treaties, Patent databases, Bioethics, Case studies.
- Diane O. Fleming; Debra A. Long; Biological Safety: Principles and Practices, ASM Press; 4th edition, 2006.
- Kankanala C., Genetic Patent Law & Strategy, 1st Edition, Manupatra Information, 2007.
- Nancy Ann Silbergeld Jecker; Albert R. Jonsen; Robert A. Pearlman; Bioethics: Introduction to History, Methods, and Practice; Jones & Bartlett Publishers; 2nd edition, 2007.
- Hambleton P.; Salisbury T.; Melling, J.; Biosafety in Industrial Biotechnology; Springer; 1stedition 1994.
- Lim Li Ching; Terje Traavik; Biosafety First: Holistic Approaches to Risk and Uncertainty in Genetic Engineering and Genetically Modified Organisms; Tapir Academic Press, 2007.
- BAREACT, Indian Patent Act 1970 Acts & Rules, Universal Law Publishing Co. Pvt. Ltd., 1stedition, 2007.
- Bonnie Steinbock; The Oxford Handbook of Bioethics (Oxford Handbooks): Oxford University Press, USA; 1st edition, 2007.
BT-452 BIOPROCESS PLANT DESIGN (4 0 0) 4
Introduction, Scale up and scale down issues, Scale-up of downstream processes ,Selection of bioprocess equipment (upstream and downstream),Facility design aspects Bioprocess economics.
1. Michael R. Ladisch, Bioseparations Engineering: Principles, Practice and Economics, 1st Edition, Wiley, 2001
2. Michael Shuler and Fikret Kargi, Bioprocess Engineering: Basic Concepts, 2nd Edition, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 2002
3. Roger Harrison et al., Bioseparations Science and Engineering, Oxford University Press, 3rdedition.2003.
1. Robert H. Perry and Don W. Green (eds.), Perrys Chemical Engineers Handbook, 7th Edition, McGraw Hill Book Co.,2000.
2. An introduction to Chemical Engineering Design, 2nd Edition, Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd., UK. (Indian Edition: Asian Books Private Limited, New Delhi).2002.
Departmental Elective Courses
III – Year I – Semester
BT-311 INDUSTRIAL MICROBIOLOGY AND ENZYME TECHNOLOGY (3 0 0) 3
Introduction, Production of Beer, Production of Vinegar, Single Cell Protein, Yeast Production,Production of Baker’s Yeast, Production of Microbial Insecticides, Production of Fermented Foods, Production of Organic Acids and Industrial Alcohol, Enzyme technology, Immobilized enzymes, Enzyme Engineering, Lipases.
1. Nduka Okafor: Modern Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology, Science publishers, Enfield, New Hampshire 03748, USA, 2007.
2. Julio Polaina and Andrew P. MacCabe: Industrial Enzymes- Structure, Function and Applications, Springer, Dordrecht, the Netherlands, 2007.
III – Year II – Semester
BT-364 PLANT BIOTECHNOLOGY (3 0 0) 3
Introduction to cell and tissue Culture, Tissue culture media (composition and preparation), Protoplast isolation, culture and fusion, Cryopreservation, Production of plant secondary metabolites in vitro,Plant Transformation technology (Direct, Indirect), Application of Plant Transformation for productivity and performance Application of Plant Transformation for productivity and performance Conventional Plant Breeding, limitations, Molecular Marker-aided Breeding
1. Hammond, R Mc Garvey and V. Yusibov (Eds.): Plant Biotechnology. Springer Verlag, 2000
2. J. Fu, G.Singh, and W.R. Curtis (Eds.): Plant Cell and Tissue Culture for the Production of Food Ingredients. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Press. 1999
H.S. Chawla: Biotechnology in Crop Improvement. International Book Distributing Company, 1998
R.J. Henry: Practical Application of Plant Molecular Biology. Chapman and Hall, 1997
P.K. Gupta. Elements of Biotechnology. Rastogi and Co. Meerut. 1996
BT-365 BIOFUELS (0 0 3) 2
Introduction, Bioethanol, Lipid Derived Biofuels, BtL Fuels, Biomethane, Biohydrogen, First vs. second Generation Biofuels, Integrated Refining Concepts, Strategies for New Vehicle Technologies.
1. Dominik Rutz & Rainer Janssen; Biofuels Technology Hand Book, WIP Renewable Energies, 2ndEdition, Jan 2008.
1. David M. Mousdale, “BIOFUELS – Biotechnology, Chemistry, and Sustainable Development”,CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group,2008
IV – Year I – Semester
BT-411 BIONANOTECHNOLOGY (3 0 0) 3
Introduction to Nanoworld, Applications in various fields, Nanobiotechnology, Synthesis of nanostructures, Applications of nanobiotechnology, Biosynthesis of designer compounds.
1. M.Ratner and D.Ratner, Nanotechnology, Pearson education, Ist edition, 2007.
1. L. E. Foster, Nanotechnology-Science, Innovation and opportunity, Person education Inc, 1stedition. 2007.
BT-414 DRUG & PHARMACEUTICAL BIOTECHNOLOGY (3 0 0)3
Introduction, Enzymes, Antibiotics, Vitamins, ergot alkaloids, steroid and other metabolites, Microbes, Gene therapy and diagnostic aids
1. Purohit, Kulkarni, Saluja—Pharmaceutical biotechnology (Agrobios) 2003
2. Templeton and Lasic –Gene therapy (Marcel and Dekkn) 2000
3. Mulligan-The basic science of gene therapy, Science, 260: 926-932, 1993
4. Chanock etc (Eds) Vaccines 87.Modern approaches to new vaccines including Prevention of AIDS Cold Spring harbour Lab, N.Y. 1987
5. Pharmaceutical biotechnology: drug discovery and clinical applications by kayser, Wiley publishers, 2007
1. Murray Moo-Young (Ed)-Comprehensive biotechnology Vol.3. (Permagon Press) 2004
2. Drug discovery and design AP publisher, 2006
3. Pharmaceutical biotechnology 2nd edition by crommel, 2004
IV – Year I – Semester
BT-465 IMMUNOTECHNOLOGY (3 0 0) 3
Hybridoma techniques and monoclonal antibody, Purification and characterization of monoclonal antibodies, T-cell cloning, MHC class II molecules in T- cell cloning, Immunity to virus, Principles and strategy for developing vaccines, Immuno diagnosis of infectious diseases, Recent advances in immunotechnology.
1. Monoclonal antibodies: Principles and practice by J.W. Goding. Academic Press 1996
2. Hybridoma Technology in the Biosciences and Medicine T. A. Sringer (Editor) Plenum Press, N.Y. 1988
3. Hybridoma Techniques: A Laboratory Course by VR. Muthukkaruppan, S. Baskar and F. Sinigagalia, Macmillan India Ltd. 2000
1. Basic and Clinical Immunology by D. P. Stites, J. D. Stobo, H. H. Fudenberg J.V. Wells. 5th Edition Large medical publications.1994.
2. Isolation, Characterization and Utilization of T-lymphocyte clones by C.Garrison Fathman, F.W. Fitch academic Press. 2002.
BT-464 STEM CELL TECHNOLOGY (3 0 0) 3
Stem cell – Definition, Cell types and sources Reconstruction of connective tissues, Isolation and identification of stem cells Type of stem cell, Haematopoietic stem cell therapy for autoimmune disease Human stem cell research in India, Human embryonic stem cell ethics and Public policy.
1. Stem Cells Handbook, Editor: Stewart Sell, Humana Press; Oct. 2003
2. Stem Cell Biology, Editors: Daniel R. Marshak, Richard L. Gardner and David Gottlieb Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor NY, USA; 2001
3. Adult Stem Cells, Editor: Kursad Turksen, Humana Press; Jan. 2004
4. Human Embryonic Stem Cells, Editors: Arlene Chiu, Mahendra S. Rao, Humana Press; 2003
5. Neural Stem Cells for Brain and Spinal Cord Repair, Editors: Tanja Zigova, Evan Y. Snyder, Paul R. Sanberg, Humana Press; 2002
6. Stem Cells and the Future of Regenerative Medicine, Committee on the Biological and Biomedical Applications of Stem Cell Research, Board on Life Sciences, National Academies Press, 2002.
1. Neural Stem Cells: Methods and Protocols, Tanja Zigova, Paul R Sanberg, Juan R Sanchez-Ramos,Humana Press; 2002
2. Human Embryonic Stem Cells: An Introduction to the Science and Therapeutic Potential
3. Ann Kiessling and Scott C. Anderson,Jones and Bartlett Publishers, 2003