B. Tech. in Metallurgical & Materials Engineering programme is of 4 years duration (8 semesters). The course work in the first two semesters is common to all branches of engineering. The core courses are introduced from the 3rd semester onwards. Besides, elective courses are offered from 5th semester onwards. The electives permit one to choose his/her area of interest within the broad areas. The students also carry out project work during the last two semesters based on the knowledge acquired.
Program Educational Objectives
- Apply knowledge of basic sciences and metallurgical engineering to extract & refine metals and to manufacture products.
- Design, characterize and evaluate material systems for metallurgical and materials applications.
- Work effectively as individuals and as team members in multidisciplinary projects.
- Pursue life-long learning to enhance knowledge base and skills for professional growth.
- Design processes for concentrating ores and minerals.
- Select processes for extraction of ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
- Assess performance of metallurgical processes.
- Identify processes to produce products as per specifications.
- Produce defect free products using metal forming and metal joining processes.
- Design thermo-mechanical treatment processes to modify the properties of metals and alloys for specific engineering applications.
- Analyze processes for protecting materials from mechanical and environmental degradation.
- Design material systems, components, processes for specific applications considering environmental sustainability.
- Apply modern science, engineering and project management principles to address the specific needs of metallurgical industries.
- Function in multi-disciplinary teams using tools and environment to achieve project objectives.
- Practice professional ethics for improved moral and human values.
- Engage in lifelong learning for professional advancement.
Scheme & Syllabus
Admission Requirements: Based on the rank in JEE
Course Duration: 4 Years (8 Semesters)