A post-graduate programme in Materials Technology was introduced in the year 2011 with an intake of 20 students. This programme offers in depth knowledge about Physical Metallurgy, Extractive Metallurgy (Design & production of Iron & Steel), Manufacturing Technologies (Metal Casting, Metal Forming, Powder Metallurgy and Welding), Mechanical Metallurgy (includes Material Testing – Destructive and Non-Destructive), Corrosion Engineering, and Materials Characterization Techniques etc. The students are exposed to core and advanced areas in the first two semesters. Dissertation work is being carried out in the third and fourth semesters.
Program Educational Objectives
- Evaluate the performance of material systems using the relationship between structure, properties and processing.
- Characterize materials and carry out research on advanced materials.
- Design and develop effective and eco-friendly materials for generic and strategic applications.
- Pursue life-long learning by enhancing knowledge and skills for professional advancement.
- Apply phase transformation phenomena to improve the performance of materials.
- Apply principles of deformation to modify structure and properties of materials.
- Characterize and evaluate materials for specific applications.
- Design metallurgical processes to produce products as per specifications.
- Evaluate products using non-destructive testing methods and modify processes.
- Identify mechanisms for protecting engineering materials from degradation.
- Synthesize ceramic, polymer, composite and non-ferrous materials.
- Design advanced materials for aerospace, biological, nuclear and high temperature applications.
- Apply project management techniques effectively to address issues related to metallurgical industries.
- Practice professional ethics and engage in lifelong learning for improved professional advancement, moral and human values.
Scheme & Syllabus
Admission Requirements: B. E. or B. Tech. in Mechanical or Metallurgical or Materials Engineering, with a First Class, and with a valid GATE score.
Course Duration: 2 Years (4 Semesters)